Saturday, 6 February 2016

Marrakech, I LOVE YOU - part 1

I've wanted to visit Morocco since I was 8 and finally decided to live the dream - Stu and I went to Marrakech for 3 nights this week and it was all I had hoped and so much better. The chaos, the pattern, the colour, the food, the intense beauty. I loved it and can't wait to go back.

This post I will talk about what we did and where we went. For places we stayed, ate and helpful notes, please look at part 2.

Medersa Ben Youssef
This is a disused Islamic school and the architecture and decoration is utterly amazing. This was round the corner from the riad we stayed in and was the first place we visited. So, so beautiful, pattern on almost every surface. Just incredible.





Jmaa el Fnaa
This is the historic square, kind of like the Covent Garden of Marrakech, filled with performers and food stalls and loads of orange juice stalls. Orange trees are everywhere and fresh juice is so cheap. Most cafes have a roof terrace so you can get away from the crazy crowds and enjoy the view/people watching.



Souks
The souks are wonderful narrow streets lined with stalls/shops selling brightly coloured leather shoes, metal lamps, jewellery, rugs, blankets, ceramics, fruit, veg, cleaning supplies, spices, bread, all sorts of wonderfulness. Of course you have to haggle, which I don't enjoy at all and I didn't intend to do. However, we had no small plates (for cake, very important!) and the plates there were so beautiful that we did it. A team effort and I think both us and the seller were satisfied with our price!


Majorelle Gardens
Stunning gardens filled with intense colour and cacti. So worth the entry fee. These colours are among my favourites. Yves Saint Laurent owned this garden after Majorelle and there is a display of some of his prints. You can also visit the Berber Museum which shows Berber designs/tool/crafts. The last room is really good and has loads of mannequins dressed in various forms of Berber clothing. Such beautiful fabrics and jewellery.





Just wandering around the streets of the medina (historical walled section of Marrakech) was a visual treat.



Maison de la photographie
This little gallery has wonderful photographs of old Marrakech and old documentaries. Also the highest roof terrace in Marrakech (and as many places, great floor tiles).



We spent one glorious day on an out of town adventure with Mohamed from Mali tours. He drove us 4 hours away on a gloriously beautiful drive through the Atlas Mountains and starting with a sunrise until we reached Ait Benhaddou, a sort of ancient desert village. Rising from the earth like camouflaged buildings. Because the ground is terracotta pink and used to build the buildings so they merge together. Most buildings we saw were this colour, as are the medina walls.






I utterly adored my time in Marrakech and long to go back - back to Marrakech to buy lamps and pom pom blankets, back to the Atlas Mountains to spend some proper time there hiking, I want to explore more of Morocco, the coast, other cities. Hopefully I will!




3 comments:

  1. So lovely! We saw a lot of similar scenes and I'm so glad you loved it as much as I did. Thanks for sharing this post with me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I think my computer was playing up yesterday as nothing was happening when I clicked reply so I used the box below and just ended up leaving myself a comment instead of replying to you! Clicking reply is working now... Anyway, thanks for popping by!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for coming to see my post :) I'm sort of new to blogging...I can't tell if I'm actually replying to you or just leaving myself a comment!

    ReplyDelete