Sunday, 14 February 2016

2 course pancake feast for two


Coconut & coriander pancake with stir-fried greens, sriracha and a soy/vinegar dip

Pancake day is probably one of my favourite days of the year! Mmm pancakes. Why don't I eat pancakes more often?!

Anyway, I was feeling inspired this year and decided to step my pancakes up a notch (for me) even though I love a classic lemon and sugar.

Both pancakes were made using coconut milk and I was inspired by an amazing coriander stuffed omelette we had in Morocco with Mohamed from Mali tours. I didn't actually eat much of it because it was his breakfast and I was worried he didn't have enough! I hope he didn't think I didn't like it because I loved it and have made my own version of it twice since our return.



I'm also obsessed with mango at the moment. I've only just learned how to cut them into these hedgehogs via this amazingly helpful youtube video and now I can't stop buying mangoes. Before this video I used to ignore the mango, accept defeat and let Stu prepare them or I would buy expensive preprepared packs. Mango independence acheived!

Coconut pancake with mango, coconut cream, maple syrup and lime
Both pancakes are vegetarian, dairy free and low in sugar and I think they are pretty healthy as well as feeling special and delicious. Me and Stu really enjoyed them.


One coconut milk based batter is used for both the savoury and the sweet pancake. Coriander is added generously to the savoury pancake which is then served with a pile of greens a drizzle of flavourful hot sriracha and a side dip of soy and vinegar which really rounds things up and gives it all a kick. Then the sweet pancake is really very simple - pancake with mango, coconut cream, maple syrup and lime. Maple syrup and lime is kind of like a different version of lemon and sugar in a way. Anyway, this pancake is not too sweet but sweetness comes from the little bit of maple syrup and the mango and all the flavours are yum together.


Recipe:

Coriander and coconut pancake with greens, sriracha and soy/vinegar dip & Coconut pancake with mango, coconut cream, maple syrup and lime

Serves 2 (or 1 super hungry person)

Ingredients

Batter
100 grams plain flour
2 free range eggs
300ml coconut milk (the milk alternative kind, not the kind in a can)

Savoury
Bunch of coriander - chopped
Greens of your choice - I used a sweetheart cabbage (sliced) and a broccoli (broken in to florets and stem finely chopped)
Sriracha sauce
Soy sauce
Distilled clear vinegar

Sweet
A ripe mango
Can of coconut milk (not light)
1 lime
Maple syrup

Instructions

Put the flour and a pinch of salt in a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack in the eggs and mix the eggs with a fork. Gradually pour in the coconut milk and continue gradually mixing, bring flour in from the edges of the well until it is all combined and smooth. If the flour is mixed in too fast it can get lumpy which is annoying but I just keep mixing, squish the lumps and maybe whisk it if this happens.

Start heating two frying pans on a moderately hot heat with a little oil in each (I use rapeseed oil).

Pour half the batter into a separate bowl or jug and set aside.

In 2 little ramekin dishes, mix about a tablespoon of soy sauce with a dash of clear vinegar in each, to taste. (I like mine heavy on the vinegar)

Mix the chopped coriander in to the original bowl, then pour half (or less, depending on the size of your pan) of your coriander batter into one of the frying pans. Give it a few minutes, see the little bubbles and watch it firm up especially at the edges before flipping. Allow the other side to cook for a few minutes. Both sides should be golden. Then remove your pancake and pour in the other half of the batter and repeat.

Meanwhile you can be stir-frying your greens with a dash of soy sauce in the other frying pan.

Once ready, grab two plates, put a pancake on each with a big side of greens, a little dish of soy/vinegar dip and drizzle with sriracha. Yum.

After eating your savoury pancake, heat oil in a frying pan and go back to the other bowl of batter. As before, make 2 pancakes (or more, depending on the size of your pan).

Then, just plate up and add a scoop of the thick coconut cream from the top of the can (save the rest for another occasion), a mango hedgehog, a drizzle of maple syrup and a wedge of lime.

Side note - you may want your oven on low so you can keep things warm/warm plates.



(Afterthought - I reckon the pancake batter can be made using the rest of the can of coconut milk instead of coconut milk alternative, I will check and update when I can!)

If anyone out there gives this a go, do let me know - I'd love to know how you got on and what you thought!






No comments:

Post a Comment